On March 28, 2010, the Blue Cross Society, Pune had a cosy and informal gathering of some enthusiastic animal lovers at the Kamala Nehru Park, Erandwane. It had been a while since the Dog Adoption Mela and we needed to gear up for the next event. During out Dog Adoption Mela in Jan 2010, we had nearly 100 names enrolled who wanted to volunteer for us. It was very touching to see so many people who wanted to help us improve the conditions of the stray animals found roaming in our city.
The agenda of this little gathering was to discuss further events and to hold another Dog Adoption Mela in the upcoming month. We almost finalised dates and the sequence of events at this meeting. It was wonderful to get feedback and suggestions to organise and execute plans.
One more very important task for volunteers was discussed. We formed Dog Muhallah Committees were volunteers from their areas will group together. For example, volunteers from Camp area will come together and form their little committee, Kothrud guys will forms their own, etc. There are various reasons we formed these committees -
To identify dogs
1. No. of dogs
2. Identify males, females, neutered dogs, puppies, mothers, bitches in heat, etc.
1. To know the dog population in our city.
2. To neuter them and control its population
3. To make their and our lives better
What we expect from you...
1. Identify dog spots. Mostly, dogs are found close to garbage cans, restaurants or food joints or may be in summers you may find them in some shady, mushy areas.Dogs are also spotted later in the nights or at dawn.
2. Start getting friendly with them. DO NOT touch or pet them! It can prove dangerous. For almost 3-4 weeks, feed them and then befriend them.
The reports will help us in controlling and improving the conditions of these animals. Since we have a very small bunch of people working for us, we would appreciate this little help we get from you.
We are still looking out for volunteers who would love to join us and seriously work towards making the lives of these animals more pleasurable.
Please email Sonia or Mrs. Paranjpye at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org to know more about helping or volunteering in any way.